Did the 2011 medical marijuana dispensary crackdown in Montana cost Cash Michael “Cashy” Hyde – America's youngest medical pot patient – his life in 2012? That's the question being asked in the wake of Cashy Hyde's death on November 14 in Missoula, as the brave boy finally succumbed to brain cancer at the tender age of four.  


Cashy Hyde battled the malignant brain tumor for two and a half years, the majority of his all-too-brief life on Earth. Fortunately it was not a life devoid of meaning.


Born on June 21, 2008, Cashy Hyde was growing normally from a baby to a toddler when he was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor at 20 months. Fortunate to be living in a medical marijuana state, Cashy's parents Mike and Kalli turned to medicinal cannabis therapy after conventional medical treatments failed to combat their son's cancer.  


Utilizing a topical cannabis oil with a large concentration of CBD (the chemical compound found in cannabis that doesn't get the user high but rather is replete with medicinal benefits – including slowing and even stopping tumor growth), Cashy's cancer went into remission from the treatments, obviously the best possible outcome for the celebrated pot patient, then the youngest in the U.S.


But it was to be for naught as the federal raids of Montana dispensaries began in earnest in 2011, forcing the majority of dispensaries not already busted to shut down their doors. The dispensaries were further doomed when SB 423 became state law in April of 2011.  


As a result, the Hyde family could no longer access Cashy's life-saving medicine and tragically, the child's cancer returned and the tumor resumed growing unchecked. If the federal government had respected states' rights, Cashy may still well be alive today, looking forward to the upcoming Christmas season like any other four-year-old boy should be doing this time of year.  


The pain Cashy’s parents experienced only increased after father Mike Hyde called the family’s social worker to notify her that his son had passed on. Mr. Hyde was expecting a funeral home staff member to pick up Cashy, but instead three Missoula Police officers arrived, “treating [my house] like a murder scene,” Mike Hyde told the Billings Gazette. 


Mr. Hyde asked the officers to come back the next morning so the family could fully grieve the loss of Cashy, but the cops refused, as it is standard protocol to determine if a death in a home (as opposed to in a hospital or hospice) was the result of either natural causes, an accident, or foul play.   


However, Mike Hyde described the cops as being “rude and arrogant” as they reportedly dug through Cashy's medical records while they were in the Hyde residence. Later Mike Hyde blasted the Missoula PD on his Facebook page. The mayor and chief of police of Missoula went as far as to call Mike Hyde to apologize for the cops' over-the-top conduct, but the obviously distraught Hyde said, “Sorry' just doesn't cut it.”


Funeral services were held last Monday for Cashy Hyde at St. Francis Xavier Church in Missoula. In lieu of flowers, supporters are asked to send donations to the Cash Hyde Foundation @ www.cashhydefoundation.com

Rest in Peace, Cashy. 
More @ billingsgazette.com & www.prweb.com