Apparently, a growing number of whippersnappers are finding their way into their parents “special” cookie jar, as a new study indicates that hospitals are seeing an insurgence of children requiring medical attention after a bite of mom’s tasty brownie made them feel kind of funny.

And while it appears more pothead parentals need to find a better hiding place for their edibles stash than in the kitchen with the Little Debbie’s, some medical professionals say it is the government’s unwillingness to implement tighter regulations that is mostly responsible for kids accidentally ingesting marijuana.

Dr. George Sam Wang, a pediatrics instructor at the Children’s Hospital of Denver, says the time has come for officials to start taking legalized marijuana seriously by updating public safety laws. “As more states decriminalize marijuana, lawmakers should consider requirements -- such as child-resistant packaging, warning labels and public education -- to reduce the likelihood of ingestion by young children,” he said.

Earlier this month, Dr. Wang and a team of researchers conducted a study in which they uncovered a shocking increase over the past six years in calls made to U.S. poison centers by people freaking out over being too stoned. Unfortunately, some of the reported cases involved children who had inadvertently mistaken mom’s marijuana edibles for one of their snack time favorites.

Of course, no one died… it seems not even the powerful psychoactive properties of “today’s” marijuana is strong enough to kill a 20 to 30 pound toddler. Yet, because these little tikes were oblivious to the fact that these chocolates and candies pose a danger, they flipped out a little until eventually falling asleep -- back on the playground within 24 hours.

Researchers say these incidents are the result of federal agencies failing to establish the appropriate safety regulations for the majority of the marijuana industry. So far, Colorado is the only state with regulations that mandates marijuana-related products have child-resistant packaging and warning labels.

Dr. Wang adds that after the federal government passed a law in 1970 forcing companies to put toxic household products and prescription drugs in childproof packaging, there was a considerable reduction in accidental poisonings and overdoses.

“Pediatricians, toxicologists and emergency physicians need to be willing to advocate for the safety of children to lawmakers as this burgeoning industry expands across the US,” he concluded.

Mike Adams writes for stoners and smut enthusiasts in HIGH TIMES, Playboy’s The Smoking Jacket and Hustler Magazine. You can follow him on Twitter @adamssoup and on Facebook/mikeadams73.