Checked the experimental clones and found roots starting to poke out of the Perilite all over now. Transplanted all five into soil this week. Gently removed them from the cups and shook off some of the excess Perilite before planting. Also transplanted five Sweet Tooth seedlings into bigger pots and planted some more seeds in cups. So far, every seed I’ve planted has come up and they all look great. Large healthy leaves and big stems with side-branching already well under way.
The new cloning method Ganji tried seems to have worked fairly well. Unfortunately, the mother plants have died and weren’t great cloning stock anyway, but at least he’s found a method that seems to work and can try cloning again when he’s ready. The new sprouts are well on the way now and looking fine. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the seed stock, it just doesn’t make for good cloning stock. –MAX
The plants in the flowering room are not doing as well. Pulled the three finished plants out today and harvested what I could. The buds are smaller but still seem to be packed with resin. Many of the lower branches went directly into the leaf box as there just wasn’t enough bud on them to justify spending the time manicuring and screen drying. The other three are now all showing the same symptoms of distress as the ones I just harvested. The leaves are starting to brown and burn at the tips and edges. Took them out to the sink again and flushed with a gallon or so of water. It’s got to be over-fertilization. The only thing I’ve changed is the soil mix which now has 1-part composted manure per 1-part potting soil. May have to re-think that.
It can be difficult to pinpoint a problem like this when variables are always changing in the garden. Ganji’s first crop was grown from seed and did extremely well. His second was a selection of the best clones taken from each of the original progenitor plants and also did well. He then chose two seemingly suitable mother plants and began propagating clones using a couple different techniques, and tried to start up a perpetual harvest. He subsequently discovered that the clone mothers were unable to remain in the vegetating state. This made cloning for propagation difficult and has produced weak, poorly developed plants. The change in his soil mix may be contributing but we’ll have to wait and see how the new sprouts will do in the new mix. He should consider buying a soil test kit and checking it out if he’s really concerned. –MAX
Moved the three clones that were ready into the flowering chamber. Two are Sweet Tooth clones that look like they’ll follow in their sisters’ footsteps and flower poorly. Nothing else to do but plod along and do the best I can until the new seedlings can be flowered out. Glad I put a bunch of herb away for a rainy day cause it’s slim pickings in the temple these days.